Well I wasn't sure I even wanted to blog about that endless night of ego's, the best and worse dressed, the speeches that turn into platform debates, and all the other drama that goes into producing the ultimate award show that gives away a naked gold man the size of a barbie doll to the best of the best. The best I ask , according to who? who decides? the Hollywood Foreign press? Price Waterhouse? I know its not the audience, that's another award show "the People's Choice", but then again..I don't ever remember being asked about that either..Who are the 'people' that get to choose? they didn't ask me.:(..ha ha, they wouldn't!
Anyway...this year, surprisingly I have to say was a better show. The set itself was beautiful and full of glamour. Hugh Jackman ( People Magazine's Sexiest man alive, Wolverine, Australia) was quite good as a first time host. My personal favorite's will always be Johnny Carson and Billy Crystal. Hugh's talents were showcased in many delightful musical numbers and he seemed generally at ease and comfortable and I must say he is certainly nice to look at!. His opening number was very entertaining until half way through the song the camera decided to show closeups of his face and his mouth was starting to create some white thrush on the corner's of his mouth. That was probably caused by dry mouth in his nervousness etc and I felt grossed out only because thrush seeping out of ones mouth grosses me out period!. Sorry Hugh, it wasn't personal... but thrush isn't pretty even if it is on the sexiest man alive! Camera man: pan away from his face! I'm sure after that he went back stage and drank water, lots of it... OK, where was I? Oh yea back to the golden ken doll. Well bottom line the show was way to long and we all know that right? Yes we do. So what did the producer decide to do? make it longer by adding these insane nomination speeches to each and every nominee by former winner's. Now I heard opinions afterward that some thought that special touch was wonderful but personally I thought "oh my gosh, how much more do these people need to be told how great they are?" what ever happened to " it is just an honor to be nominated?", list the nominee's , then open the envelope and give out the Oscar... But to go on and on to each nominee about how great they are on a personal level was over the top. For the love of god people they were not being given the "Pulitzer" !!
My personal surprises was that Mickey Rourke didn't win and Sean Penn did (and of course it gave him his platform to give his political opinions and that was NO surprise), then he thanked everyone else in his life BUT the woman who has stayed by his side , explaining the next day that he kept his speech non personal...ummmmm..using the world stage for his pro gay marriage view wasn't personal? whatever!
In the end, 3 hours later ,it was basically the same show it always is. Long, longer , longest..The glamorous were still glamorous, the red carpet was still red, the Oscar was still gold, and Hollywood is obese from the over indulgent of fat paychecks and fat ego's . I think they should seriously consider changing the Golden statue to a plus size!
see ya next year!!
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment